Registered Nurse - Lactation Consultant - Oak Lawn , IL - Lactation RN
Company: Advocate Christ Medical Center
Location: Oak Lawn
Posted on: November 20, 2022
Registered Nurse - Lactation Consultant - Oak Lawn , ILMajor
- Lactation Management
- --------1)Serves as a consultant when difficulties with
lactation are beyond the knowledge and/or training of the health
- --------2)Consults, develops and implements lactation plans of
- --------3)Serves as a liaison and/or facilitator between the
community and hospital providing ongoing expertise, education and
support to groups and individuals.
- --------4)Provides a communication link between the hospital
and health care provider's office to assure coordination of patient
care and maintains communication with health care providers
concerning patients experiencing lactation and breastfeeding
- --------5)Demonstrates appropriate assessment, planning,
intervention, and evaluation based on stages of life and
- --------1)Provides education for mothers and family in correct
- --------2)Educates patients, families and health care team
- --------3)Develops and implements ongoing lactation educational
program annually on lactation for the healthcare team.
- Process Improvement
- --------1)Participates in lactation program development and
- --------2)Works with the appropriate shared governance
structure on issues relating to lactation.
- --------3)Participates in development of policies, procedures,
algorithms and guidelines specific to lactation practice at site
and system levels.
- --------4)Identifies, monitors and evaluates quality and safety
issues related to practice.
- --------5)Maintains phone consultation system for lactation
questions and problems.
- --------6)Represents the lactation department at
- --------3)Analyzing assessment data to create nursing diagnosis
and determine the necessary interventions.
- --------1)The RN Lactation Consultant is a registered
professional nurse who provides holistic nursing care through the
nursing process to individuals, groups, families, or communities,
that includes but is not limited to: #2 - #6
- --------2)Collecting comprehensive data through assessment that
is pertinent to the condition of the mother and baby's health.
- --------4)Coordination of plan of care implementation with the
health care team.
- --------5)Consultation to influence the identified plan to
enhance the abilities of others and effect change.
- --------6)Evaluation of progress towards attainment of goals
and health outcomes.
- Evidence Based Practice
- --------2)Maintains current knowledge of lactation research and
reflects this knowledge in current lactation practice.
- --------3)Participates in lactation research projects.
- --------4)Pursues continuing education relevant to lactation
consultant practice including reading current professional
journals, participating in workshops, seminars, in-service
programs, conferences, accredited courses, and professional
- --------1)Evaluates and integrates research findings into
- Nurse, Registered (RN)Education/Experience Required:
- Effective April 2, 2017, Bachelor's degree in nursing (BSN),
required 3 years minimum experience in Maternal Child
NursingKnowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- --- Global perspective of changing health care environment. ---
Ability to prioritize work. --- Basic computer skills. ---
Effective interpersonal communication skills. --- Utilization of
critical thinking in timely decision-making. --- Able to
collaborate as a member of the health care team. --- Knowledge of
lactation equipment and supplies.
- Current RN license in Illinois Certified as International Board
Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), or must have one of the
following: Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC), Certified Lactation
Specialist (CLS), Certified Lactation Educator (CLE) or Certified
Breastfeeding Specialist (CBS) and be certified as an IBCLC within
2 years of hire/transfer. Current BLS certification through the
American Heart Association NRP certification as required by
sitePhysicial Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Flexible hours according to customer needs. Ability to
demonstrate a commitment to patient-focused care. Ability to
prioritize independently and respond to multiple simultaneous
requests. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with
established time constraints and in difficult situations. May be
exposed to hazardous materials and life-threatening diseases.
Ability to perform lifting/transfer activities related to patients
(up to 30 lbs. may be required). This position needs to recognize
needs and behaviors of specific age groups and cultures of patients
- If position has direct patient care or direct patient contact
the following lifting requirement supersedes any previous lifting
requirement effective 06/01/2015. Ability to lift up to 35 pounds
without assistance. For patient lifts of over 35 pounds, or when
patient is unable to assist with the lift, patient handling
equipment is expected to be used, with at least one other
associate, when available. Unique patient lifting/movement
situations will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.This job
description indicates the general nature and level of work expected
of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities
required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform
other related duties.
Keywords: Advocate Christ Medical Center, Oak Lawn , Registered Nurse - Lactation Consultant - Oak Lawn , IL - Lactation RN, Healthcare , Oak Lawn, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!