Nursing Asst HUC I - Oak Lawn , IL - Med Surg
Company: Advocate Christ Medical Center
Location: Oak Lawn
Posted on: September 13, 2023
Nursing Asst HUC I - Oak Lawn , ILMajor Responsibilities:
- Assists RN with daily care of patients including bathing, oral
hygiene, feeding, activity orders and ambulation which may include
use of therapeutic assistive devices, proper positioning, range of
motion and special transferring as indicated. Measures and
documents blood pressures, TPRs (Temperature, Pulse, Respiration),
I & O (Intake and Output), daily weights, and other patient data as
requested. Documents accurately in Electronic Medical Record
- Participates in admission, transfer and discharge process under
supervision of RN including room set up, orientation to room,
removing linen, and proper management of patient belongings.
Ensures patient call light is always in reach of patient and
answers call-lights promptly.
- Performs purposeful rounding under direction of RN and promptly
communicates observations, concerns, and needs of patient/family to
RN. Documents appropriately. Performs various patient positioning
and transporting duties which require lifting and pushing/pulling
while utilizing proper technique and assistive devices.
- Performs tasks related to nutritional needs of the patient
under direction of RN to include diet review, tray set up/removal,
proper positioning and diet selection. Performs tasks related to
maintaining skin integrity to include proper repositioning and skin
care. Ensures special patient supplies and appliances are provided
and maintained such as TED hose and sequential compression
- Collects urine, stool, and sputum specimens and performs
point-of-care testing as indicated using approved process for
accurate specimen labeling and identification. Maintains competency
as required. Under direction of RN and as determined by site/unit
requirements, may be required to remove IVs, provide post mortem
care and perform bladder scans.
- Practices within policies and procedures of infection
prevention by demonstrating hand hygiene and knowledge of sterile
and aseptic procedures, proper disposal of contaminated materials
and utilizing proper attire when in direct contact with patients in
- Coordinates tests and treatments with and between various
departments for patients on nursing units. Maintains a working
knowledge of functions and services offered by all diagnostic and
treatment departments to facilitate the scheduling of tests and
treatments. Maintains working knowledge of EHR system and other
computer systems for ordering patient and unit supplies and
equipment. Processes daily patient charges and/or related
procedures through the system.
- Facilitates communications required to support patient care,
including the multiple-line telephone, unit/site paging and the
hospital information system. Screens incoming telephone calls.
Monitors department office equipment and troubleshoots minor
problems. Arranges repair of major malfunctions.
- Compiles necessary chart forms for admissions, transfers,
discharges and expirations. Obtains appropriate copies of medical
records for transfers to nursing homes and other health care
facilities. Verifies medical records contain complete and accurate
patient demographic information, patient identification and
registration in the medical record, including appropriate level of
- Establishes and maintains positive customer relations and
contributes to a harmonious work environment. Quickly and
courteously acknowledges requests, responds to call lights,
demonstrates proper phone etiquette and fosters communication
between the health care team.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to
provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. Must
demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development
over the life span and possess the ability to assess data
reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate
information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative
to his/her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as
described in the department's policies and procedures. Age-specific
information is developed further in the departmental job
standards.Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare
Providers--certification issued by the American Heart Association
(AHA) needs to be obtained within 45 days, and
- Nurse Aide in good standing as indicated with the State
Registry in which the team member practices.Education Required:
- Certificate of General Educational Development (GED) or High
School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), or
- High School Graduate.Experience Required:
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Basic computer skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to set
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to adapt to
interruptions and changing priorities/workloads.
- High level of attention to detail essential.
- Certification Addendum
- Team members will maintain annual educational requirements for
hospital based certifications (e.g. DNV, CARF or others).Physical
Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, lift, squat, bend, twist, and
reach above shoulders during the work shift.
- Must be able to:
- lift up to 50 lbs. from floor to waist.
- lift up to 20 lbs. over the head.
- carry up to 40 lbs. a reasonable distance.
- Must be able to:
- push/pull with 30 lbs. of force.
- perform a sliding transfer of 150 lbs. with a second person
- Will be required to use foot pedals on carts or machines.
- Must have functional vision and hearing.
- Will be exposed to mechanical, electrical, chemical, and
radiation hazards as well as blood and body fluids on a continuous
basis; therefore, protective clothing must be worn as
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.This job
description indicates the general nature and level of work expected
of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities
required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform
other related duties.
Keywords: Advocate Christ Medical Center, Oak Lawn , Nursing Asst HUC I - Oak Lawn , IL - Med Surg, Healthcare , Oak Lawn, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!