Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Company: Sinai Chicago
Location: Oak Lawn
Posted on: June 25, 2022
General Summary/Basic Purpose of Job:Diagnostic Medical
Sonographers produce sonographic Images of internal organs and
cavities for use in diagnosing disease or evaluating the pregnant
uterus, with emphasis on the Fetus. During this process they must
be able to operate the Diagnostic Ultrasound equipment to obtain
the most diagnostic images possible using the appropriate
transducers and operational controls.Essential Functions and
- Has a thorough understanding of ultrasound equipment and
physics in order to produce high quality images for review by the
imaging physician or radiologist.
- Ability to discern the difference between real anatomic
reflections from tissue versus artifact and adjust controls to
reduce the effect of the artifacts.
- Ability to integrate diagnostic Sonograms, laboratory results,
patient history and medical records, and adapt the Sonographic exam
- Perform Ultrasonic diagnostic procedures in accordance with
accepted ACR/SDMS/AIUM and department examination protocols as
directed by the reading physicians.
- Maintain ultrasound equipment in a clean and sanitized
condition at all times and report any damage or malfunction
immediately to your supervisor or biomedical engineering. Clean
every transducer and transducer cable after each use.
- Uses AIDET principles with all patients by: Acknowledging them,
Introducing yourself, letting them know how long the exam will
take, explaining the procedure and thanking them for visiting our
- Sonographer shall verify the identity of all patients by
checking their registration ID band, and by asking the patient the
following: ask for their full name, and date of birth and verify
that the answers match the arm band and the referral
- Understands the use of all Doppler controls and principles in
order to produce the proper images for evaluation and diagnosis by
the reading physician.
- Must understand the difference between normal appearing
anatomy, abnormally appearing anatomy and alterations caused by
pathology, and fluid collections, and create an imaging file that
best represents this.
- Demonstrates the ability to assist in performing biopsies,
fluid aspiration, tissue aspiration and other invasive procedures
while documenting these procedures using ultrasound imaging.
- If assigned and is fully trained in breast, pediatric,
vascular, OB& GYN or general ultrasound imaging, be able to produce
accurate imaging of all anatomy or pathology using the appropriate
scanning techniques and protocols.
- Consistently places studies into Taken status in Meditech,
verified status into PACS, and properly attaches all relevant
ultrasound orders in AS software.
- Assigns ultrasound studies properly to the designated reading
physician based on the exam type; i.e. MFM OB read versus
radiologist read. And ensures that OB studies are not in
preliminary status in PACS.
- Equally shares the responsibility of performing exams on
inpatients, ED patients, portable exams, and Schwab patients; and
is an effective communicator with other ultrasound caregivers and
- Performs quality assurance tests frequently on the ultrasound
machines and reports any defects or damages to the biomedical
engineering department via the SinaiNet Renovo portal or by calling
the biomedical engineering department directly.
- Ensures proper protocol and documentation of the high level
disinfection process for the ultrasound probes (i.e. Trophon,
Cidex, ect.) and reviews the log book for inconsistencies.
- Ability to rotate across the system including: MSH, HCH, La
Villita, Hawthorne and Lawndale. This includes shift flexibility as
well as willing to cover PTO, call-ins and emergencies.JOB
- Accredited College education culminating in an associates or
Bachelors degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography or equivalent
training acquired via work experience or education.
- Prefer 1-2 years experience as a Sonographer, but will consider
appointment based on interview and demonstration of scanning
- Must have the skills and knowledge required by the SDMS, ACR
and ARDMS guidelines for the profession of a Diagnostic Medical
- ARDMS certification is required for all
- Self-Scheduling: 12-Hour Shifts - Days, Evenings or Nights
- Institutions: Teaching Hospital, Level 1 Trauma Center (MSH),
Level 2 Trauma Center (HCH)
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Health Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability, Life & Long
Term Care Insurance, Critical Illness & Accident Insurance,
- 403(b) match
- Flexible Spending, Health Savings accounts and voluntary
benefits at group rates
- Train Shuttle
- Legal Protection Plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) , Employee
DiscountsPandoLogic. Keywords: Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
(DMS), Location: Oak Lawn, IL - 60453Required
Keywords: Sinai Chicago, Oak Lawn , Diagnostic Medical Sonographer, Other , Oak Lawn, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!