Security Officer Sr. (Full Time, Night Shift)
Company: Advocate Health Care
Location: Oak Lawn
Posted on: January 27, 2023
It's More Than a Job, It's a Calling!
Position: Public Safety Officer Sr. (This is an armed position) /
Security Officer Sr.
Location: Christ Medical Center; Oak Lawn, IL.
Full Time; Night/3rd Shift
- Serves as the Officer in Charge in the absence of department
- Provides security services with professionalism, fairness, and
compassion in even challenging circumstances and in accordance with
policies, procedures, and training. Inspires confidence in
patients, visitors, and team members by presenting a professional,
approachable, and service-oriented appearance and demeanor. Is
alert, observant, and ethical. Complies with and enforces all
safety and security rules and regulations. Maintains Department
uniform and equipment in good repair.
- Performs routine responsibilities during interior and exterior
patrols to ensure safety and security, including but not limited
to: inspections to identify vulnerabilities, hazards, and fire
conditions, audits of Interim Life Safety Measures, patient
valuables management, and thorough contraband searches. Assists
team members, patients and visitors by providing information,
directions, and physical help. Ensures traffic control, monitors
conduct of visitors on premises, and confronts unauthorized persons
- Prevents, responds to, and investigates workplace violence.
Responds to service calls, such as combative or threatening
patients or visitors and team member incidents. Serves as a primary
resource for de-escalation.
- Performs key responsibilities to plan, prevent, practice, and
respond to emergencies such as lost or abducted infants/children,
fire, and active threats. Responds immediately to emergency and
crisis situations; physically intervenes in accordance with
training to situations that have a potential for injury.
- Investigates incidents that occur on Advocate Aurora property
and completes timely and accurate reports. Addresses and escalates
complaints to the appropriate leader and provides supporting
- Performs liaison rounding duties to cultivate close
partnerships with all department and units. Delivers security
awareness education to team members to leverage their assistance in
the overall security of the site.
- Liaisons with state and local law enforcement and first
responder agencies. Coordinates, briefs, and monitors every law
enforcement prisoner patient guard to ensure policy compliance and
prevent unsafe practices.
- Assists as a training resource for the Department. Serves as
the preceptor for probationary officers and implements their
orientation, onboarding, and assessment, compiles feedback,
maintains training records for the department, trains competencies
for all officers. Prepares lesson plans for officers that do not
meet training expectations. Serves as a field instructor when
assigned, maintains instructor level certifications, and provides
training in accordance with standards.
- Assists department leaders in administrative duties such as
reviewing required reports and records to ensure quality and
accuracy; inspects uniforms, equipment, supplies and material and
reports findings to the chain of command.
- Maintains current Department training standards in radio
communications, verbal de-escalation, stabilization, CPR,
application of clinical restraints, conducted energy weapon
Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:
A valid driver's license issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles,
Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) Card issued by the Illinois
State Police., or
Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) license issued by the Department of
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Typically requires 4 years of experience in a security or
public safety role that includes experiences in responding to
emergent situations and identifying and resolving issues that pose
a potential risk to patients, visitors, staff and/or property; or
completion of 30 credit hours in a Criminal Justice, Police
Science, or similar course of study from an accredited college or
university and 3 years' work experience with 1 year of experience
in a security/safety role.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Security Officer Healthcare Certification (CHSO) issued by the
International Association for Healthcare Security & Safety (IAHSS)
must be obtained on a one-time basis within two years of
appointment to this role. Recertification is not required.
- Illinois team members must have completed State of Illinois
20-hour Basic Security Officer course; for IL sites equipped with
firearms, the State of Illinois 40-hours is required.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise mature judgment and sound
reasoning while maintaining a courteous and tactful demeanor in
dealings with employees, visitors, and patients, even if they are
verbally aggressive persons.
- Demonstrated experience in quickly assessing dangerous
situations and taking appropriate action.
- Demonstrated ability in verbal and written communications.
- Ability to use a computer to document work such (Microsoft
Word, Excel, navigating a web page, and database entry).
- Ability to work a flexible scheduling including off-shifts,
weekends and holiday, as necessary.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Must sit, stand, walk, and drive throughout the workday and
must lift up to 35 lbs. occasionally. Must be able to push/pull
with 35 lbs of force.
- Temperature in working environment (when outside) may vary
between - 10 to 90 degrees due to seasonal changes.
- May be exposed to mechanical, electrical, chemical, explosive,
and radiation hazards. Protective clothing must be worn as
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.
- Ability to defend self and/or others in case of physical
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work
expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities
required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform
other related duties.
Join our Talent Network
Support Services at Advocate Aurora
Jobs like this
- Food Production Associate - 20 Hours a Week
- Environmental Services Tech I
Downers Grove, IL
- Public Safety Officer (On-Call)
- Supervisor Public Safety
Advocate Aurora Health is committed to diversity and inclusion
every single day and in everything we do. Diversity lives in the
differences, great and small, that matter to us and make each of us
unique - from our age and the color of our skin, to our abilities
and the things we believe in. We know that empowering our
differences inspires creativity that leads to innovative solutions
- for our team members, consumers and communities. And because
health care is built upon relationships, it's important for the
people we serve to be able to trust us to meet their unique needs.
By cultivating an atmosphere of acceptance and compassion, we
create a welcoming environment where our patients can heal, our
team members can thrive and our business can grow. As a team
member, working in a diverse setting allows you the chance to grow
in ways that will broaden your perspective to deliver the best
possible patient care.
Keywords: Advocate Health Care, Oak Lawn , Security Officer Sr. (Full Time, Night Shift), Other , Oak Lawn, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!